When I was revising for my A levels, I completed an entire colouring pad. It was one of those My First Colouring books, with large pictures of flowers, cats, scarecrows, etc. I’m not sure how much it helped, revision-wise, but I was happy and remained stress-free, so it was good for something.
I colour in less these days. I calm my troubled mind with cross stitch and crochet, but I like the pictures you can get these days for colouring in. I’d like to have a go at embroidery colouring. I like the thought of having an image picked out with big black lines and just cross stitching it in whichever colour I fancy. Like colouring in.
I couldn’t resist this bag when I came across it in Hobbycraft, supposedly for fabric painting. Some of it might have to be stitched in something other than cross stitch, but I’ve been meaning to learn other embroidery stitches for a while, and this seems as good a project as any to practise with. Of course, I have had this bag for a while, and not yet made a start on it, but the intention is there. It has been since I first found it. I need to unpick the seams first – I’ve tried stitching on an already made up bag before: complete nightmare, I can tell you!
I have the same problems with cross-stitch patterns that I have with books: Quantity and Time. My TBR list is longer than my arm, and I have a box full of cross-stitching magazines and a drawer full of kits. And not enough hours in the day.
I don’t help myself, either, buying a new magazine each month, usually full of many patterns which I want to stitch. And then by trying to design my own patterns, too.
About ten magazines into my collection, though, I came to a decision. I was marking the patterns I liked by folding down the corner of the page, but I wasn’t really keeping track of them, for suitable occasions in the future or just-becauses. So, I did what comes naturally to the planner.
I began to note each pattern down, in a notebook, complete with the edition it was in, the length of time it supposedly took, and a complete list of all threads and fabrics required to complete the pattern. My Project Notebook. I also make a note of potential recipients.
And when it’s made, it gets ticked off the list.
Do you have a To-Be-Stitched list? How do you keep track of it?
One of the things I like about Christmas is the poinsettia flowers.
Sadly my fingers aren’t green enough for me to keep one alive – cacti are my preferred plants…
Fortunately you don’t need green fingers to stitch a poinsettia.
For last minute Christmas cards.
With this rather unexpected change into actual summer (sunshine and blue skies and everything! Quick, get the BBQ!), I’ve changed my July project. A bit late in the day, you might say, being as how we’re now over half way through the month, but I was hoping that the new project will be quicker. That was until I started stitching it.
You see, I began the kitchen clock. I counted my two dozen squares to the first available stitch, and then began doing the clock-face outline. I got all the way around, and discovered the two ends don’t match up like they’re supposed to. And I can’t see where I’ve gone wrong, so I’ve put that pattern to one side for another day and found a nice, simple, kitchen-themed sampler instead. (I found it on Etsy, if anyone’s interested, but I’m afraid I can’t remember which shop…)
It’s a little slogan which says “This kitchen is seasoned with love” and there’s a couple of hearts and it looked very minimalistic and straightforward.
So I started stitching. Letters take longer than you think. There seems to be far more counting, too.
Yes, so far, I’ve only half-done the L…
I got my stuff ready for July’s Project – cut the right-sized bit of linen, gathered my threads, found something to watch – and went straight back to June’s.
Which is now nearly finished. Just the last few stitches and the outlining to do.
I think part of why I went back to this pattern was the relative mindlessness – cross-stitching squares. Nice and easy, straightforward. And now I’ve got to the point where, really, I need to finish this one before I can move on to July’s teapot-clock. At least up to the outlining.
Although I haven’t quite finished June’s Project of the Month (for one, because I was distracted by a little Mouseloft kit in the final week, which I also haven’t completed), I feel like I am closer to completion than I was with previous unfinished Projects.
However, with the new month just begun, a new Project is required. This month, I’m beginning various projects, not all of them crafty. It’s Camp NaNo, you see, and my targets for my camping involve finding fun in my writing again with short fiction and my blogs, and establishing Good Habits of Routine and Discipline with regards to writing and crafting so that I use all my time efficiently and I get to enjoy all the things which give me pleasure.
So I might suddenly appear to be much busier with this blog – I’m working on a new plan for organising myself and my posts so I know what’s happening and I don’t feel unenthused or lacking in direction.
July’s Project of the Month is a clock-project, from CrossStitcher 289. One of Mark’s cousins is getting married in a couple of months and has asked for contributions towards a new kitchen. Every kitchen requires a clock, and I’ve been meaning to stitch this one for a while now, and thought I’d seize the opportunity with both hands.
It’s also, supposedly, a quick project. The time-frame given reckons it takes about 14 hours. So I might be able to go back to June’s project and get that finished too…
Finally, this week, I managed to finish one of my Unfinished projects – the Dalahäst.
It’s interesting to be able to see the difference in the two reds – it’s harder to see on the physical item. Apparently the original was more of a pink – perhaps I should have found a pinkier alternative, but it does work.
Just Paris to go, now.