One of the problems I have with my cross stitch kits is that the different threads tend to get all jumbled up.
This is especially true of the smaller kits which don’t also come with those nice thread separators – you know, the bits of card with holes punched in.
However, I have recently discovered, quite by accident, a reasonable alternative for this mini kits: my crochet bag, which usually lives, wool spilling out, on the sofa where I stitch.
Then, as I finish needing each colour, they go back into the paper envelope of the kit. Nice and safe for next time.
How do you keep your threads untangled?
There’s nothing like the announcement of an imminent new arrival in a family for a happy crafter to get crafting.
Now, admittedly the imminent new arrival for our family isn’t due until January (not mine; Mark’s cousin), but I thought I’d get a head start. I have a cross-stitch sampler planned as well, but in the mean time I’ve dug out an old pattern for a rabbit.I think the pattern cover wants to suggest it’s some variety of collectable, not a toy, but I successfully made this in fleece when I was but a child, trying to replace a much-loved and sadly lost rabbit. So it works as a pattern for a soft toy.
Having found my pattern, I’ve also dug out some yellow flanneling (I think) which seems a good fabric for a newborn’s toy, with some yellow silk for lining the ears. Yellow is a good, neutral colour, given that it’s still too early to find out whether Baby’s male or female.
So I spent a happy afternoon pinning and cutting, and wondering how the front and back pieces are meant to fit together, and how I managed before. I’ve looked at them every which way, and still can’t work it out. Hopefully it’ll come to me while I’m sewing them together.
I’ve made it before, I can make it again – in true, Blue Peter Style: Here’s Rachel, one I made earlier (much earlier)…
I didn’t make the dress…
Although I haven’t quite finished June’s Project of the Month (for one, because I was distracted by a little Mouseloft kit in the final week, which I also haven’t completed), I feel like I am closer to completion than I was with previous unfinished Projects.
However, with the new month just begun, a new Project is required. This month, I’m beginning various projects, not all of them crafty. It’s Camp NaNo, you see, and my targets for my camping involve finding fun in my writing again with short fiction and my blogs, and establishing Good Habits of Routine and Discipline with regards to writing and crafting so that I use all my time efficiently and I get to enjoy all the things which give me pleasure.
So I might suddenly appear to be much busier with this blog – I’m working on a new plan for organising myself and my posts so I know what’s happening and I don’t feel unenthused or lacking in direction.
July’s Project of the Month is a clock-project, from CrossStitcher 289. One of Mark’s cousins is getting married in a couple of months and has asked for contributions towards a new kitchen. Every kitchen requires a clock, and I’ve been meaning to stitch this one for a while now, and thought I’d seize the opportunity with both hands.
It’s also, supposedly, a quick project. The time-frame given reckons it takes about 14 hours. So I might be able to go back to June’s project and get that finished too…
Someone once said that there are only three rules to writing fiction. Just a pity no one knows what they are…
But lots of people try and explain them. Successful writers, not so successful writers, and non-writers who think it’s all easy anyway, because anyone can do it.
I think the most important after a love of words and language, though, is a plentiful supply of tea or coffee, whichever you prefer, probably accompanied by a plate of biscuits…
I like Scrabble. I like words. I expect that’s why I like the game. I’m having trouble with words at the moment, or perhaps it’s the ideas which are the problem, not the words.
I’m hoping my Project this month will help with appeasing the Guardian of Ideas.
In the manner of leaving a dish of milk and some cookies for the brownies in exchange for doing some small house-work chores during the night, perhaps a teapot and plate of biscuits.
Finally, this week, I managed to finish one of my Unfinished projects – the Dalahäst.
It’s interesting to be able to see the difference in the two reds – it’s harder to see on the physical item. Apparently the original was more of a pink – perhaps I should have found a pinkier alternative, but it does work.
Just Paris to go, now.
They pulled out all the stops this year, for Eurovision. I don’t watch it for the music – I watch it for the stage-shows, and the presenters’ costume-changes. I think I counted four for Petra.
I wasn’t particularly rooting for anyone, although I liked Cyprus, and thought there were better entries than Ukraine. However.
It was a good evening, and creative inspiration clearly rubbed off on me as I managed to get quite a bit of stitching for the Dalahäst done. I have, though, mislaid one of my threads. Quite an important colour, too, so I’m trying to work around it by leaving all of that colour until the end. Hopefully my counting won’t go wrong…
I also discovered an inadvertent colour-change. Apparently what I thought was No. 335 is actually No. 35, although since I don’t have that thread anyway, it might just be that I forgot to note the change on my pattern. Oh well!
Mostly all I have left is large blocks of No. 335 and outlining in No. 46, which is my missing thread. There are a few more details to do, but the majority are done.