Because, obviously, I don’t have enough to do already, shortly into January, I found another project to do. Another crochet blanket, a patchwork of hexagons, for a friend.
Fortunately, however, I can whip up a hexagon in about half an hour, which means I have time to whizz through one in my lunch-break at work. Which is good, because I’m now nearly half way through the hexagons required (I think). It might even be finished before this winter’s over.
I’m using 100% acrylic aran yarn, with a 6mm hook, and the hexagons are a variation on the normal three-treble granny square. Each one is six rounds and approximately 8″ across. I’m starting with the aim of a 7×7 blanket (so 49 hexagons in total), and then seeing if that’s big enough or if I need some more.
Start with a a chain of six, slip-stitched into a circle. Chain three for your first treble, then treble one, chain one, treble two, until you have six sets of two trebles with a chain space between.
Each set should be two trebles, with corners having two sets in them, with a chain space either side.
I haven’t quite decided how I’m going to join them all together, or if there will be any rhyme or reason to the colour order. I’m just glad I’ve finally managed to start a project that involved using up one large ball of purple aran I’ve had for several years, and the end of this multi-coloured one, which was left over from my first granny square blanket. Of course, I’ve had to buy more yarn, but at least it began with stuff from my stash. And I got a dozen hexagons out of the purple aran.